Military Academy Nominations
The honor of attending a service academy comes with the obligation and commitment to serve in the military for a minimum of five years upon graduation. For more information, please review the page of Frequently Asked Questions for those seeking a Military Academy Nomination.
Members of Congress may nominate candidates for appointment to four of the five U.S. service academies: U.S. Military Academy (USMA), West Point, NY; the U.S. Naval Academy (USNA), Annapolis, MD; the U.S. Air Force Academy (USAFA), Colorado Springs, CO; and the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA), Kings Point, NY. The fifth service academy, the U.S. Coast Guard Academy (USCGA), New London, CT, does not require a congressional nomination for appointment.
Congressman Steve Watkins may nominate up to ten individuals for each vacant academy slot allotted to our district. To request a Military Academy Nomination from our office, please complete the form below. Best wishes to you as you pursue your goal of attending one of the U.S. Service Academies and serving our country.
Please click on the link below to and the Military Academy form.
- As of July 1 of the year of admission, applicants must be:
- 17 years of age, but not yet 23 years of age
- A citizen of the United States
- Unmarried, not pregnant, and have no legal obligation to support a child or dependent
- A legal resident of Kansas’s 2nd Congressional District
1. To be considered for a nomination by Congressman Steve Watkins, each applicant must have all nomination
materials postmarked on or before October 18, 2019.
The completed Nomination Application File must contain:
- Nomination application form
- An essay describing your character and leadership abilities, and why you desire to attend a U.S. Service Academy (maximum one page, 12 pt font, single-spaced)
- One recent photo (4x6 portrait preferred)
- Official high school transcript (& college if applicable) Must contain school seal and appropriate signature(s).
- SAT and/or ACT score verification (scores included on your official high school transcript will be accepted)
- 3 letters of reference (can be included with application or sent directly from the author, not required to be sealed)
- Resume (maximum 2 pages)
Please mail all nomination materials to:
Congressman Steve Watkins
Attn: Allen Askew
3550 SW 5th St.
Topeka, KS 66606
2. Applicants who meet the basic eligibility requirements and complete a nomination file by October 18, 2019 will
be contacted and invited to interview with Congressman Watkins’ Service Academy Nomination Board. This
board evaluates applicants and recommends candidates for nomination. The well-qualified, non-partisan military
board will ensure a fair and impartial process. A date will be set in the fall for these interviews, and you will be
contacted for an interview time. The interviews typically occur on a Saturday in November.
3. Congressman Watkins’ nominations will be announced no later than December 31, 2019.
We look forward to hearing from you.